Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Peanut Butter Cup Pie

I came across this recipe on another cooking blog....
and thought I would give it a shot.
And why not...I had to take a pie to the ward christmas party!
Let me just say...it was SO GOOD!
Do I say that too much?
It really wasn't too difficult..
the recipe was a lot like the cream pies that I had made prior.
I just won't talk about how I didn't measure the graham crackers and had to make
3 different crusts...all at 11:30 p.m.!
UGH!
So, if you don't want to deal,
I would suggest you just go and buy a graham cracker crust!
Whatever you do, please just at least TRY this recipe.

Peanut Butter Cup Pie

Pie Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Chocolate Layer:
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp heavy cream
2 oz. semisweet bakers chocolate
Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crumbled
6 tbsp. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350*

In a small bowl, combine butter and graham cracker crumbs.
Press moistened graham crackers into a pie tin.
I like to take a small glass and use that to press the graham crackers into the tin.
Make sure that they are not too dry also, or else the crust will just crumble apart.
(Like I would know ANYTHING about that)
Bake for 7 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.

**This is a change that I made.
The original recipe called for these same ingredients,
but actually doubled what I told you.
I had enought for 2 complete pies with 3/4 cup cream and 4 oz of chocolate.
You will be fine if you decide to half it.
I just don't know what you would do with all the extra chocolate.
Next, pour the cream into a small sauce pan.
Heat until the cream comes to a simmer and remove from heat.
Add the chocolate and stir until melted and combined.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie crust.
I tilted the pin tin and kinda swirled the chocolate around
to make sure it completely coated the crust.
Please in the freezer for 30 minutes until chocolate is firm.

**It is a little cracked, because this was my 2nd pie crust..and it was
in the fridge for a day...or two.
Now, for the pie filling.
If you want to take a second to hop over here so you are reminded
how to make a cream filling.
It's basically the same thing.

The only difference..you add the peanut butter instead of the coconut.
Once the peanut butter is combined, pour into the chocolate coated pie crust.

Place in the fridge and allow to cool completely before serving,
at least an hour.
Top with Whipped Cream
and mini chocolate chips.
Just so you know, it was a HIT at the ward party!
**Merry Christmas...
I'm taking the weekend off!

2 comments:

Does it look good? Did you try it? Do tell!