Friday, January 15, 2010

Orange Bubble Loaf Bread

What do you do when you have 2 cases of oranges picked fresh from the tree in your Arizona friends' backyard?

You can either juice them, which I HIGHLY suggest,
but before you do that...PLEASE make this recipe!
(isn't her handwriting so neat...I loved the way she wrote!)
This recipe has SO many memories for me!
It is from my Grandma Steiner.
She passed away in 2003, and I miss her TREMENDOUSLY!
When I was younger, I would often spend the night at her house
with my other 2 cousins, Natalie and Makell, who were a year younger than me.
We would stay up all night laughing and giggling and sleeping on the red carpet floor
in the front room with my grandma's sliding glass door open
and the satin curtins blowing in the breeze.
The next day we would all man our posts and make this and wait
IM-PATIENTLY
until they had raised enough to bake.
I LOVED IT!
Orange Bubble Loaf Bread
1 bag 36 ct bread rolls (I have changed this part)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 c melted butter.
Grease a bread loaf pan, or any other pan with high sides.

First of all, you need to decide how much bubble loaf bread you are going to make.
The whole package of rolls will make a TON...which I could eat myself.
I used probably 24-28 rolls of dough for 3 pans of bubble loaf bread.
It was probably 8 rolls for each pan.
Allow for the dough to thaw.
It will be perfect if you put the frozen dough in the fridge at night for you to use in the morning.
In a small dish, melt butter.
In another small dish, combine the sugar and orange peel.
My "stations", if you will.

Cut each ball of dough in half, and then cut that half into thirds.
Roll them into a ball.

Roll that ball of dough in the butter.

Roll that ball that is coated in butter in the sugar/orange mixture.

Place in the greased pan.

Repeat until you have two levels of rolls.
Depending on how many you make,
you may need more butter and orange/sugar mixture.
Allow them to raise until 1 inch from the top.
Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes,
then....lower the temperatue to 300*
and OPEN YOUR OVEN DOOR....
for about a minute to lower the temperature.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
When done, turn upside down onto serving plate to cool.
Wait for at least a minute before you devour them,
or else you
WILL BURN YOUR TOUNGE!
I really hope you enjoy these...
They are one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!

9 comments:

  1. Such nice memories and a great recipe! Using citrus instead of cinnamon is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! It looks so yummy. I love citrus taste. This is a recipe I'll probably try with my homemade bread dough. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!! My husband always tells me I make to many citrus flavored recipes, but how can I resist! I think I will make this tonight. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love frozen dough! And I love orange rolls. This looks like an easy way to get the same great taste. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so incredible!! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these and they were really yummy. I toppped them off with a citrus glaze while still warm. Soooooo Yummy (I think I am still on a sugar high)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I did make these, and my husband raved. My three year old daughter loved it too. I used homemade dough, and added a citrus cream cheese glaze. Delicious!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! Do you know about how long it takes for the dough to raise? I was going to try this on Easter morning...just wondering how early to wake up! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsey...it depends on the temperature of your home first of all, mine is usually a cool one...my husband doesn't like heat. I would say about an hour. AND, actually, when I made this batch, I wanted to bake mine the next morning and so I rolled an extra pan and put it in the fridge and when I got up to bake it, they were OVERFLOWING out of the pan...so you could try that as well. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Does it look good? Did you try it? Do tell!