Monday, September 28, 2009

Chocolate Chip Datenut Cake

I have been eating this cake for as long as I can remember.
It is SO good!
I absolutely LOVE to dip it in a glass of milk,
and that's the way I remember my dad eating it as well!

MMMMM!
1 cup water
1 cup chopped dates
1 tsp. baking soda
1 square margarine
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts (my mom uses walnuts, I prefer pecans)
1 12 oz package chocolate chips
(milk...NOT semi-sweet)
Preheat oven to 350*
In a medium size sauce pan, bring water to a boil.
Once water is boiling, add dates and baking soda.
Remove from heat.
Mix well, making sure baking soda is disolved.

In a large bowl, cream together margarine, shortening and sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla.
After dates have cooled, add date mixture to sugar mixture.
Mix well.

Add flour, cocoa and salt. Mix with blender.
Once all ingredients are combined,
add HALF the nuts and HALF the chocolate chips,
mix together with a spoon.
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and nuts on top before cooking.
Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes.
Until center is done.
(I don't prefer walnuts, so I didn't add any on top.)

Serve with a tall glass of cold milk!
I remember when I was younger and my mom would make this,
I would try and sneak the chocolate chips off the top!
So good!

1 comment:

  1. I made this yesterday and it is WONDERFUL! It wasn't hard to make. I put a spoonful of Cool Whip on top...YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Does it look good? Did you try it? Do tell!