Friday, October 23, 2009

Corny Rice Crispy Treats

Who doesn't love a rice crispy treat?
Who doesn't love Halloween?
Why not combine the two?
Add some candy corn, and heck, why not,
chocolate chips!
Voila...there you go!

Corny Rice Crispy Treats

1/2 cup butter
9 cups mini marshmallows
10 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup candy corn
1 cup indian candy corn
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
yellow & red food coloring

Butter a 9x13 or a jelly roll pan and set aside.
(you need to decide if you want THICK rice crispy treats
or THIN rice crispy treats...scroll down to the finished product
picture and you will see what I'm talking about..it FILLS the pan!)


In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat.
Once the butter has melted, turn heat to medium and add marshmallows.
Once they start melting, add food coloring to make a nice orange color,
if desired. Continue stirring until color is incorporated into marshmallows.

In a large bowl with the crispy rice cereal, add marshmallows
and begin mixing. As the marshmallows start to cool, they become
tough...so be prepared. Add the candy corn and stir a little bit
more, and then the chocolate chips as you are about done mixing.
You do NOT want to add the chocolate chips before then, because
they WILL MELT.
(don't ask me how I know this...)

After everything is added.

Using buttered hands, spread and press into the prepared pans.
Let it sit until firm.

See what I told you about it FILLING the pan?

It is SO good!
My secret to getting the treats soft and gooey...
add extra marshmallows...not quite a full cup.
It works for me!





1 comment:

  1. Hey Casey, I noticed that this is an older post. I also noticed that it was the last one that I sammpled. Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete

Does it look good? Did you try it? Do tell!